Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 9


8x12 oil over acrylic /canvas panel, unnamed

About five years ago I taught a class full of eager painters at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia on landscape composition.  We worked using acrylic paint and on this particular day the goal was to show aerial perspective by making the bushes and trees in the background lighter in color with less detail, and the foreground having  more detail. A simple goal with only two things to remember was just what all of us needed. Everyone in the class did a good job and went home with paintings they were proud to hang.  I, on the other hand, did not go home with a painting to hang, but instead stacked my demo painting with the others in my studio that I wanted to revisit one day.  

Today I pulled this painting out of the unfinished stack and worked for about two hours applying oil paint over the acrylic painting I had done as a class demo.  One thing to remember is that you can always put oil paint over acrylic but never the other way around.  This painting holds happy memories of that class and happy memories of Callaway Gardens that year. 

On to day 10 tomorrow morning; I'm liking this new schedule for me as it is certainly getting me back in the studio completing works and making a few new ones.  

1 comment:

  1. The place looks familiar! I recognized it immediately in your painting... before I read your blog post. You made Callaway Gardens feel very welcoming the time I visited there, and for that I remain grateful. What an incredibly beautiful place that is.

    ReplyDelete